Saturday, December 15, 2012

"What does a one pound baby look like?"

People keep asking me "what does a 1 pound baby look like?" While it is something no one will understand unless they have seen one, I will try and put it in perspective. If you can put all these things together, hopefully, you can have a better picture of what our little peanut looks like, or at least her size. First off, realize that all preemies have 'a look' that is associated with being premature. Their head is too big for their body, their eyes too big for their face, and everything else so tiny it looks like you could break it if you squeezed too hard. I am not a very big person. I am about 5'8" and roughly 125 pounds. My hands are not huge, so keep that in mind as most of these comparisons are based off my hand size. So, how big is she? The best way to describe her head is roughly the size of a racket ball. For those of you how don't know how big that is, it's between a golf ball and a baseball. Her body (neck to bottom) fits in the palm of my hand. Her forearm is the same length and width of my pinkie finger. Her palm is smaller than my finger print, and her whole hand cannot wrap but half way around my ring finger. My wedding band is more like a bracelet for her and my diamond stud earrings are bigger than her whole ear. Her diaper is the size of a credit card, and still too big might I add. Her calf is the size of my thumb and her toes are a little wider than a toothpick. When I hold her on my chest, her whole body is above my bra. She is shorter from head to toe than my forearm. And just for laughs, Juliet weighed less than our German Shepherd puppies we breed were at birth, as they all weighed in at over 2 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment