Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Birth Story No One Wants....

Like I said before, it you get sick to your stomach easily, I would suggest not reading this post. This was not a pretty situation and not something anyone wants to go through. Even now, two weeks later I am still stunned it happened. So here we go: After using the bathroom, I was walking back to my bed when I felt something odd. I reached down and realized there was something hanging out of me. I immediately knew what it meant: Jacob's cord had prolapsed. For those of you who don't know, this means his umbilical cord fell out of my uterus. This is an extreme emergency, as the cord can then get kinked and the blood flow and oxygen can no longer reach the baby. Many times in this situation, the baby has already passed by the time anyone realizes there is a problem. Thankfully, my nurse was wonderful and got me moving down to the operation room ASAP. The doctor was ready and we had a huge team ready for these babies. We found a heartbeat for Jacob and knew we had to act quickly. The doctor realized the likelihood of Jacob surviving until the doctor could get him out was very slim and made a decision to keep Jacob alive. This meant that the nurse had to hold his head off the umbilical cord. Thankfully, my closed cervix from the day before had dilated all the way to a ten and we big enough for the nurse to put her hand through. So, she grabbed the cord, and pushed it all back in until she was holding his head up inside my uterus. I hear the doctor tell the nurse to keep her fingers back when he cuts so he does not hit her. She was told to hold onto him until the doctor took him out of her hands. The doctor was ready, but my medicine had not knocked me out yet. Looking at him, I told him "to get the babies the hell out". He realized I did not care about the pain, only my children surviving. He then made the choice to begin the c-section without the medication in full effect for me. I remember the sound of Jacob leaving the room moments later. The next thing I know is I am waking up in recovery. The pain was like nothing I had felt before. Unlike a normal c section, the spinal slowly wears off with the help of other pain medication. With me, I went from being knocked out, to waking up with no pain medication. But worse then that, no one would tell me how my babies were doing. If they were still alive even.

No comments:

Post a Comment